What’s happening in September?
Marilyn Harper writes about the importance of the use of many parts of the body to produce effective pedalling in ‘Our Chair writes’ and David Wakefield describes the diverse music at the IAO Music Festival at Bath- formerly the IAO Congress – in ‘Looking outwards’.
We have a great deal coming up in September including Matthew Power giving a Purcell recital, Marilyn Harper playing a Buxtehude recital, Richard Pilliner playing the full set of Bach’s Trio Sonatas, a typical creative recital by John Mitchell ‘a Musical Menagerie’ and a Society sponsored harpsichord recital by Gilbert Rowland. Details of all these events are given below and on the ‘Notifications’ page.
Southwark and South London Society of Organists (SSLSO)
presents a Harpsichord Recital by Gilbert Rowland at St. Augustine, Honor Oak Park, SE23 3LE on the 17th September at 2.00pm. A programme of the event and a short summary about Gilbert are now available here.
A report of this event will be uploaded shortly.
Want to know how a harpsichord works? Here is a YouTube link. https://www.youtube.com/embed/71x4MSlpGUk
A calendar of the SSLSO’s events for April-November 2016 is available for Download or on the Notifications page.
An interesting account of the first women to broadcast live to the worldon the BBC (1933/34) has been been recently published. There is a short promotional YouTube video and more information on this download
September events – More info on the Notification page
- Latest info from Bromley and Croydon Association
- Impromptu organ recital by John Webber instead of the Organ recital Bach’s Trio Sonatas by Richard Pilliner, St John the Evangelist, Goose Green, SE22 9AT, 24th September 2016, 11.00 am. Richard is unable to perform this Saturday due to illness.
- Organ Launching – Tulse Hill Methodist Church will be having a launching and dedication service of a newly installed 2 manual extension pipe organ on Saturday 24th September, 2016. The service will include a short recital by Marilyn Harper comprising works by J.S. Bach and Ralph Vaughan Williams.
- Celebration of the restoration of the Beckenham Baptist Church. Elm End, BR3 4JB, 24th September, 4.00pm. Link to poster
- Eleni Keventsidou at Bloomsbury Baptist, WC2 8EP 24th Sept at 4.00pm Poster
- Recital by Andrew Cantrill St Michail’s Church Betchworth RH3 7DN, 1st October 4.00pm Details
- Early prompt: Register to sing evensong at Southwark Cathedral with John Webber and Graham Powell. The event is on 4th February 2017, but register interest now so John can plan. Details are on the Notification page as usual. A photo of the 2015 occasion is shown to the left.
A personal note from the Web Editor
||On a personal note, I am not a professional web designer and have done my best, with the help of Committee members, to create a vehicle to increase the dialogue between members.There will be mistakes and difficulties over the forthcoming months and some of these ideas may well transform in the light of experience. For anybody interested in the papers I wrote for the Committee as I developed the ideas, and in truth to actually help me clarify my ideas, they are available on the ‘Notifications’ page.