- Saturday 6 June at 7.30 pm – Message from Norman Harper
An online meeting, entirely informal in nature, is offered as a substitute for the day-trip to Thaxted and Saffron Walden parish churches, which sadly has had to be postponed for the usual current reasons. A real shame, as the two towns and churches are very attractive, and in fine weather are glorious to behold. The organs, of course, are very special.
So instead, all members are being sent a message via email, asking if they would like an invitation and link to take part in Saturday evening’s meeting. A positive reply guarantees an invitation; you just need to make sure your computer or phone has the Zoom app. This is easily downloaded, but help will be at hand if needed.
Topics of conversation may range widely and freely, but initial suggestions are welcomed: maybe a discussion about the current circumstances as they affect organists, both problems and solutions, or views about meetings we might plan for the future. And to help things along, feel free to have a refreshing drink by your side.
We hope you can join us!
2. Here on the left is our start at gaining wider interest in playing the organ that has been highlighted in the May RSCM news letter clear to get the whole newsletter here or the click the picture.
3a. There is a lot of stuff in this website that you may have missed. For example John Mitchel made a splendid film about the history and workings of the pipe organ. Here
3b. And hear our President, Harry Bramma, improvise on All Saints, Tootings’s magnificent Harrison here.
3c. And while we are about it, hear Richard Pilliner’s impromtu improvisation at St John’s east Dulwich here
SO look at Norman Harpers’s easy guide to improvisation here, and you could do this too!
4.There is lots of stuff going online now that would have involved expensive travel, accommodation and time cost. This is the time to take advantage of what’s available.
5. There is amazingly free access to the RCO media learning program. https://www.rco.org.uk/news_displaystory.php?newsid=313
6. News from Marilyn Harper about the Leeds International Organ Festival. Lots of music on YouTube (for the obvious reasons). To experience this music go to: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCclwfVFDX69EvnA48MXmMug?view_as=subscriber
7.New SSLSO Master class about Improvisation has been created by Norman Harper for you to self learn.Improvisation is something everyone can do. Follow this link to get more information about this course and access to five short videos to help you.
8. Organist required for St Paul’s Parish of Herne Hill. The advert is here. The closing date has been extended.
Note we do not know which of these events will be allowed to go ahead, but the moment we do they will be signaled here.
Notification of Society Events in 2020
Committee member Bridget has put together the entire programme of events for 2020. Enlarge and download (if you wish) click on the green page. As you will see there are number of new event taking place in forthcoming year. Further information will be emailed to you nearer the time of the event.
Summary of the Society’s activities
These two inserts describe the activities of the Society – click to enlarge