What’s happening in October?
1. Marilyn Harper has written an article entitled Oriental inspiration in which she expresses how a programme series on television about Japan had set her thinking on the parallels that exist across the differents arts.
2. We have some new music on Let the music sound from our Chair, Andrew Chadney, who plays Andante by Joseph Hector Fiocco (1703-1741).
3. Norman Harper is running the third in his series of Improvisations workshops on the 21st October at 2.30 pm at St John’s Shirley, Church Road, Croydon, CR0 5EE . Come and be inspired to be more adventurous and interesting. In Norman’s words ‘anybody can improvise‘. More information here
4. The Society’s Annual Dinner is looming on the horizon, so be sure to keep 8th November 2017 at 7.00 for 7.30 free for this successful and enjoyable event – and bring a guest. More details given here
5. We have a long list of recitals that have been notifide to the Society which are summarised in the table below and given in detail on the Diary page.
6. There is an Assistant Organists job going at the Bromley Parish Church for 1 or 2 years (or longer) – see details here
- Society event with Norman Harper’s Improvisation Workshop at St John’s Shirley, Church Road, Croydon, CR0 5EE on the 21st October 2017 at 2.30pm
- Forthcoming Society event in November is the Annual Dinner at Bistro 1, 27 Frith Street, Soho, W1D 5LE on the 8th Nov at 7.00 for 7.30 price £20.
- Daniel Cook plays at The Bloomsbury Central Baptist Church WC2 8EP on the 28th October 2017 at 4.00pm see more on the download
- Organ Recital by David Oldfield at St Luke’s Church Whyteleafe Hill, CR3 0AA on the 21st October at 4.00pm
- Talk by Richard Brasier and Tom Bell on Martin Luther and the Reformation and Liturgical Music in Germany at St Laurence Church, Corbets Tey Road Upminster RM14 2BB on 31st Oct 2017 at 7.30 £5.00
- Marlyn Nicholson of Penge Congregational Church is holding her Annual Memorial Service for her husband at the church on Sunday, Nov 5th at 3.00pm followed by teas and a collection for Amesty International
- There is a new fund to help organists of limited means set up by the Essex Organ Association in honour of one their members Christopher Kingsley. Announcements
- The Incorporated Association of Organists, has a Benevolent Fund and are keen to make more organists aware of it. Their website is http://www.iaobf.com
- There are other souces of help to organists: the Eric Thompson Trust, the RCO have a series of scholarships and awards, the Royal School of Church Music Pipeline Scholarships, The danbytrust.org
14. Recital Guides
A personal note from the Web Editor
||On a personal note, I am not a professional web designer and have done my best, with the help of Committee members, to create a vehicle to increase the dialogue between members.There will be mistakes and difficulties over the forthcoming months and some of these ideas may well transform in the light of experience. For anybody interested in the papers I wrote for the Committee as I developed the ideas, and in truth to actually help me clarify my ideas, they are available on the ‘Notifications’ page.