What’s happening in February?
Marilyn Harper reflects on the importance and symbolism of breath in ‘Our Chair writes‘ and David Wakefield describes discovering an amazing organ in the Austrian outback in ‘Looking outwards‘.
The Society visited two churches in Clapham on 21st Jan 2017: Christ Church, Union Grove, SW8 2QJ with Peter Smith the organist showing us round the organ and later at St Paul’s, Rectory Grove, SW4 0DX with Robert Bowles telling us its interesting history. See Marilyn Harper’s write-up here.
Notifications and Announcements
I have been busy re-organising how we handle publicising events and general announcements, so we now have two pages devoted to this: the ‘Diary page’ and the ‘Announcement page’.
The ‘Diary page’ will give information about events that occur on a specific date, while the ‘Announcement page’ will give information about things that are not tied to a specific date. The one exception is that of an organ recital series which will be ‘announced ‘ on the ‘Announcement page’. In addition, I have tried to make the two pages look more attractive and be easier to read especially as more items are being put on them, so I have coloured the February and March parts of the diary differently.
I have also created the facility for any member to be able to add an item to these pages by simply filling in and on-line form which you can access from the relevant page. This is a very unusual facility and experimental at the moment, but if you would like to try it out I would be very grateful.
The Monthly events (below) simply lists events that will take place in the next month or so.
February events – More info on the Diary page
- Listing of SSLSO events up to May 2017
- Bromley and Croydon’ Association February newsletter – see Announcements.
- Prof Christopher Page is giving a series of Gresham College lectures on Christian Music at St Sepulchre Without Newgate. The next one is 16th February 1.00pm. More information here . And here is a copy of the paper he gave in January
- John Webber recital St St Stephen’s Walbrook EC4N 8BN, 17th Feb. 12.30 -1.30 – Don’t miss this!
- Daniel Moult play at Bloomsbury Baptist Church, 235 Shaftesbury Avenue, WC2 8EP at 4.00pm on the 25th February. Here is the poster.
- SSLSO Composite Recital, Penge Congregational Church, 172 High Street,SE20 7QS, 25th Feb, 2.00pm – what to do here
A personal note from the Web Editor
||On a personal note, I am not a professional web designer and have done my best, with the help of Committee members, to create a vehicle to increase the dialogue between members.There will be mistakes and difficulties over the forthcoming months and some of these ideas may well transform in the light of experience. For anybody interested in the papers I wrote for the Committee as I developed the ideas, and in truth to actually help me clarify my ideas, they are available on the ‘Notifications’ page.