What’s happening in September?
1. Marilyn Harper has written an article entitled Musings in which she expresses a range of interesting thoughts , mostly philosophical, about the wonder of music and especially of the sound and playing of organ music.
2. We have some new music on Let the music sound where Member, Sara Best, plays Concerto in G major (Ist movement) Prinz Johann von Ernst (1696-1715), arr JS Bach
“As you will see from the ‘diary’ section of the website, there are some truly mouth-watering recitals looming including one by our esteemed president, Dr Harry Bramma. At St John’s, East Dulwich at 11am on Saturday 16th September. Harry will be playing a programme including Handel,Bach,Smart and Karg-Elert. I can’t recommend this highly enough. It would be wonderful to have a good turnout from members to support Harry. “.
4. Other recitals taking place in September are:
Norman Harper is playing at at St Matthew’s, Westminster, at 1.05pm on the 6th September a varied program of Bliss, Boyvin, Handel, Arro and JS Bach.
Norman Harper is playing at St Swithun’s at 6.00 on the 9th September. There is a popular program: Toccata & Fugue in D minor BWV 565, Bonnet Elfes, Debussy Arabesque No 2 and Scherzo and Toccata from Peeters Suite Modale. Refreshments are available after the recital and there is a leaving collection.
Gilbert Rowland who recently gave a harpsichord recital for the Society at St Augustine’s Church, Honor Oak Park, is giving an organ recitals on the10th September 7.45 at Christ’s Chapel Dulwich SE21. This features the music of Domenico Scarlatti, Padre Antonio Soler and George Frederick Handel. Admission is free, with retiring collection and reception for all in the vestry afterwards. Everyone is most welcome.
Anthony Day is performing on the 16th Septemebr at 11.30 at Bromley Parish Church as part of the Open House weekend celebvrating the 60th anniverasry of the rebuilding of the church – retiring collection. His poster is on the Diary page
Norman Harper is playing at St Georges, Hanover Square on the 26th September at 1.10pm. He is playing : Arro, Lebègue, Bakfark, Franck, J S Bach.
5. In the Announcement section section there are a list of places that, should you or a friend be short of funds, can go for help. I will try and develop this list into its own page, and if any of you know of other sources, could you let me know throught the Contact page and I will compile a more complete list of ‘opportunities’.
6. A list of Society events has been finalised and cirulated by email and letter. Here is a copy of that list. The events are also listed in the Diary section and on the Society events: Future and Past events pages
7. Marilyn has also asked that the following message be put on the Home page:
“Ashley Valentine, one of our new members, will be demonstrating his improvisation skills in the Herne Hill Festival at St Faith’s Church, North Dulwich, on Sunday 15 October at 6.00pm when he accompanies a Hichcock silent movie, The Lodger, together with the Camberwell Community Choir and band, on the piano. Tickets are required for this event. Click on here for more information and access to the ticket site. Prices £7, £5 concessions”.
“A Birmingham Conservatoire Graduate, I have been a School Teacher and more recently, Music Researcher for the BBC. Since 2006 I have been Organist & Director of Music at St John the Divine, Kennington, overseeing a flourishing music programme which includes 100 children and adults across four choirs. I am passionate about the organ and keen to encourage young players“.
You can refresh your knowledge of our other glamorous Committee members by going to the Committee page
9. Notice from the South Bank Centre about their International Organ Series starting on the 25th September with a recital by Simon Johnson organist of St Paul’s Cathedral. link
10. Frank Roddy, of Bromley Parish Church, is looking for some cover. He says:
“I am looking for someone to play the morning Eucharist service on Sunday 10th September and 1st October at 10.30. 4 hymns, Thorne St Thomas setting plus usual voluntaries. The fee is £60. Hope someone out there might be available!” Contact: francis.roddy23 @gmail.com
12. New IOA Preisdent takes office. Read all about it here.
14. Recital Guides
|The London Organ Concerts Guide|
|National Organ Recitals|
|South Bank International Organ Series|
A personal note from the Web Editor