What’s happening in August?
Marilyn Harper writes about the organ world after Brexit in “Our Chair Writes”.
We have no new edition of “Looking Outwards” or “My Church” this month as the web team is on a summer break. We shall be back in September, however you can visit previous editions of “My Church” here and “Looking Outwards” here.
Southwark and South London Society of Organists (SSLSO) presents a Harpsichord Recital by Gilbert Rowland at St. Augustine, Honor Oak Park, SE23 3LE on the 17th September at 2.00pm. A programme of the event and a short summary about Gilbert are now available here.
Want to know how a harpsichord works? Here is a YouTube link. https://www.youtube.com/embed/71x4MSlpGUk
City of London and Eastern Society of Organists (CLESO) is having a concert on the recently installed Makin organ at Church of Christ the King, Chingford 455 Chingford Road E4 8SP on Saturday 3rd September 2016 at 8pm. Concert admission will be free, with a retiring collection for Haven House Children’s Hospice and CLESO. More information is available on the CLESO website or can be downloaded here.
Organ Scholarship – Southbank Centre
There is an exciting opportunity to apply for Southbank Centre’s organ scholarship, now in its fourth year. The scholarship is designed as a professional development and leadership training scheme. From September 2016 to July 2017 this unique training placement will support the Southbank Centre International Organ Series concert programme, development work and organ participatory activity. Details of the scholarship are available here.
10 min video on how an organ works
John Mitchell has a made a magnificent video, with an accompanying document to illustrate how an organ is made and works. This is a 10 minutes video and well worth the time it takes view. To see it click here.
John Mitchell is also having a musical menagerie concert at All Saints’ Church, Church Road, Warlingham, Surrey, CR6 9NU on Sunday 18th September at 6pm. Entrance is free. Collection for Christian Aid. More details are available here.
A calendar of the SSLSO’s events for April-November 2016 is available for Download or on the Notifications page.
A master class on registration at the Penge Congregational Church on Saturday 4th June was run by our Chair, Marilyn Harper. This was a new event and a write-up of it is under the ‘Past events’ tab. Marilyn Harper, our Chair, was invited to the CLESO Annual Dinner to be their speaker on 30th June 2016. The brief to Marilyn was to explain why there are so few women organists and she addressed this by describing her own career in very candid terms. The account is quite fascinating and can be read by clicking ‘Past events‘ .
Have you looked at the tab ‘Helpful links’ on this website? It contains a lot of useful websites grouped into general categories. I have just come across another one (from Paul Derrett’s website) from which you can download organ music very easily. It’s called Organlive.com and is a US based internet radio on which you can make requests and buy music and also download free music score. Try it, you might find it helpful and useful.
Have your say
Do you have some passion that you would like to be published on this website? Don’t be shy! write an orticle or express a view and we will publish it. Send it in through the ‘Contact us’ page
August events – More info on the Notification page
- July’s edition of the Bromley and Croydon Organists & Choirmaster’s Association is now on the Notifications page under general Notifications.
- Early prompt: Register to sing evensong at Southwark Cathedral with John Webber and Graham Powell. The event is on 4th February 2017, but register interest now so John can plan. Details are on the Notification page as usual. A photo of the 2015 occasion is shown to the left.
- Organ Recital – Marilyn Harper – Wednesday 14 September, 2016 at 12 noon at St. Augustine’s Church, Honor Oak Park SE23 3LE, featuring music for Advent and Christmas by Diderik Buxtehude (1637-1707). This recital is a preview of the opening recital that Marilyn will give in the St. Peter’s Berkhamsted Oktoberfest, which is on Thursday, 15 September, 2016 at 7pm.
- Organ Recital – Matthew Power plays music by Purcell, Clerambault & J.S. Bach – Christ’s Chapel of God’s Gift, Dulwich, London SE21 7AE. (Organ by George England (1761) re-built William Drake (2008)). On Sunday 11th September 2016 at 7.45pm. Admission Free, retiring collection.
- British Institute of Organ Studies – Conference – Anne Page plays a programme of music by Sweelinck, Blow, Croft, Handel, Buxtehude, de Grigny, Carl Rütti and Bach on the Metzler organ which also celebrates its 40th anniversary this year. At Trinity College Cambride CB2 1TQ on Thursday 8th September, 2016 at 8pm. Tickets £12 at the door.
- British Institute of Organ Studies – Conference – Paul Binski and Anne Page lead a walking tour of three college chapels with a brief talk on the architecture of each building followed by a short organ recital. Colleges to be visited will be Pembroke, Peterhouse and Downing,on Saturday September 10 at 2.30pm finishing at 4.30pm. Tickets £10 at the door but please advise Andrew Johnson (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you intend to come as numbers may be restricted.
- Bach in Somerset – At The English Organ School and Museum, The Manse, Chapel Lane, Milborne Port, Sherborne DT9 5DL from Monday 19th to Wednesday 21st September 2016. The course will be led by Margaret Phillips and the repertoire will be free choice of Bach’s organ works. The course fee: £150, and some accommodation will be available on site at The Manse. Further details about this and any other aspect of the course, place contact Margaret on email@example.com tel: 01963 250011
- Organ Launching – Tulse Hill Methodist Church will be having a launching and dedication service of a newly installed 2 manual extension pipe organ on Saturday 24th September, 2016. The service will include a short recital by Marilyn Harper comprising works by J.S. Bach and Ralph Vaughan Williams.
- Organ Restoration Appeal Launch – St. George the Martyr Parish Church, Borough High Street, Southwark SE1 1JA on Thursday 20th October 2016 – Comprising Abraham Jordan Exhibition, talk by Dominic Gwynn and Recital by Alderman Dr. Andrew Parmley MusM Hon FGS. The Exhibition opens at 5.30pm followed by the talk at 6.45pm and the recital will start at 7pm. A brief history of the church is available here.
A personal note from the Web Editor
||On a personal note, I am not a professional web designer and have done my best, with the help of Committee members, to create a vehicle to increase the dialogue between members.There will be mistakes and difficulties over the forthcoming months and some of these ideas may well transform in the light of experience. For anybody interested in the papers I wrote for the Committee as I developed the ideas, and in truth to actually help me clarify my ideas, they are available on the ‘Notifications’ page.